New Handle on an Old Hand Saw

Last weekend while up in North Carolina visiting family, my dad gave me one of his old hand saws.  I can remember this saw being around all of my life.  Dad thinks that it is a Sandvik and is not sure if it is one he bought or was passed down from my grandfather. Either way the saw is old and has a lot of history in its teeth.

The blade is in great shape with no pitting or broken teeth.  I was cautious as I didn’t want to remove any watermark that might still remain on the blade to identify the maker but I quickly realized that any sign was long gone.  I wet sanded the blade with 400 grit paper and then oiled it down for protection.

Next came the handle, it was still functional but looked pretty rough and I am pretty sure that it had been replaced somewhere down the road.  It was made plywood and had made it for many years but was now spitting and cracking.  I decided to make a new one out of some Cherry scraps I had laying around the shop.  I removed the old handle, copied it onto the Cherry and then made a few of adjustments in the design that I liked.

I cut the new handle out with the bandsaw, rasped the hand grip to a comfortable shape, then sanded everything smooth.  two coats of wipe on poly later and its finished.

I can’t wait to get the saw sharpened and start making saw dust.

Go to Smartblog Theme Options -> Ad Management to enter your ad code (300x250)

11 Responses to “New Handle on an Old Hand Saw”

1. Kim
    April 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Greetings from Finland. The saw in question does appear to be a Sandvik saw indeed. By the look of the original handle, I think the model number is 277. The saw does not look very old to me, possibly made somewhere in the 1950s. I happen to own a much later version of the same saw. Not sure if your saw still has it, but the saw was made with a breasted tooth line and very high and pointy teeth. This was trademark Sandvik. The link below wild demonstrate my saw.

• highrockww
      April 28, 2012 at 11:25 am #

Thanks Kim, for the info and the pictures. And I would say that the age assessment is probably about right from talking to my dad.

2. Terry
    February 14, 2012 at 2:46 am #

Way to go Chris i am Proud to read your post and the work you are achieving Terry

• highrockww
      February 14, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

Thanks Terry.

3. Todd
    January 19, 2012 at 2:35 am #

Chris nice job on the handle. That really came out looking good, congrats!

4. January 18, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

Tools with a bit of history are the best to get out and use. I can remeber where I got each one of my main toolbox tools from.
    I Love the new handle but I prefer to finish all of mine with a coat of linseed oil as it just feels and smells nicer.

• highrockww
      January 19, 2012 at 2:00 am #

Thank you and you are right about the finish I do like to use linseed oil and have used it on other tools such a wooden hand planes I have made.

5. Kenny Boatwright
    January 18, 2012 at 3:54 am #

Very nice! I know you will get lots of enjoyment with this tool.

• highrockww
      January 19, 2012 at 1:56 am #

Thanks Kenny. Just need to get it sharpened now and will get to using it. I still need to trim the ends of my Roubo top slabs and think this is going to be the best tool for the job.

6. January 18, 2012 at 12:26 am #

Cool! Several of the tools in my shop came from my Dad – my hammer, most of my pipe clamps, etc. I’ll bet that was a little work to get it looking so good.

• highrockww
      January 19, 2012 at 1:54 am #

Thanks Jeff. I like working with old tools and it is nice to see them fixed up and ready to be used for many more years.